Friends of Cycling Youth Safety Program (YSP)
We are committed to promoting safe bicycling for kids in the San Diego North County area. Our club is expanding this effort and wants to provide free bike safety education to local elementary schools. Friends of Cycling is a supporter of the federal government’s “Safe Routes to Schools program”, which encourages and enables more children to walk and bike to school.
Helping Kids Ride bikes to School
Parents and kids of today do not have the confidence to bike or walk to school. 90% of children who lived within a mile of their school walked or biked to school in the 1960′s. Only 31% do so today. FOC’s program help highlight, promote, and develop bike/walk to school efforts
Our program provide kids (K-6) first hand knowledge of bicycles, use of helmets, and awareness of road traffic to be safe this summer and next school year. Kids will learn:
- How to operate a bicycle safely under a variety of traffic conditions
- Bicycle emergency maneuvers
- The use and proper fit of helmets
A licensed bike mechanic will make sure that the kid’s bikes are working properly or identify repairs that are required to have a safe bike.
Swami’s is also supporting the creation of local Bike/Walk Trains, where kids ride in groups to school.
Friends of Cycling Y.S.P. Links
- What is a Bike Rodeo?
- Safety Talk in Video
- Bike/Walk to School Train
- Bike Link-Tracking your trips to school
- Safe Routes to School (SRTS) programs
- E David Callender Consulting
- El Camino Bike Shop
- Sock Guy
- Encinitas Round Table Pizza
- Swamis Developmental Elite Team
- Swamis Cycling
- Island Boy Racing
- Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute
- Encinitas Union School District
- Carlsbad Unified School District